CRAIG PLAY ABOVE AVERAGE

"THE YEAR OF THE TIGER" HAS APPEALING THEME WELL INTERPRETED.

Tuesday evening the sixth Craig Prize Play was given its premier production, and for the first time in the history of the prize plays the performance was not in the hands of the old Craig Stock Company. Mr. Craig has ventured into broader fields of producing, and Mr. Andrews' play has, therefore, the benefit of a specially selected cast. To judge from the symptoms of real success and ability clearly apparent in the play we shall hear much more from and of Mr. Andrews within the next few years in the world of the theatre. "America Passes By," his one act play, given last year by the Dramatic Club, heralded a sincerity, delicacy, and insight sadly rare among our present-day dramatists. In the longer play of this week we find more traits of excellence, if not always fully developed at least suggested. It is the second in a series of plays which shall be increasingly good as the author becomes through experience freer and more self-reliant.

The story is of Mildred Gleason, an American girl, whose whole being revolts against the monotony of dreary, uneventful missionary existence in Japan. She has passed into her late twenties--that fearsome betwixt and between age--with no friend of her own age near, for her girlhood lover disappeared twelve years before--in the last "Tiger Year." Asano, her old manservant, tells Mildred-san that the smoke-cloud Tiger which glowers over Fuji, caused his going, just as this year it will bring her "wild strange things." Thus when she meets a stranger, Hale, and falls in love, Asano sees in him a tool of the cruel, laughing Tiger. Hale is merely youthfully flirtatious, but it is all beautiful reality to the girl. Before long she discovers Hale's insincerity. Asano, loyally, tries to kill her "rival," dying himself in the attempt. Mildred meets a leper, whom she fails to recognize as her old lover, and his talk of having come upon happiness in the quiet of utter resignation, brings to her consoling peace. She returns to the hospital life she had so grown to hate, and in the love of a long faithful friend finds her happiness.

Mr. Andrews has chosen an appealing theme, framed it in an unusual, glowing setting, developed it with truthful, entertaining people, and phrased it in clear, emotional, satisfying dialogue. It is perhaps in plotting that the author is as yet least sure, for, while it hangs together excellently in its early parts, towards the end the play loosens perceptibly in structure. It may be, however,--or so it seems--that injudicious, wholesale cutting has removed necessary material and caused the last act to seem altogether wrong in its emphasis. The first two acts are splendid; the third wavers momentarily and falls a little below their standard, while the last seems entirely out of key with the rest. But the average struck is high indeed, judged by every modern standard.

The acting of Miss Victor as the heroine was very fine indeed. She showed understanding, sureness, and a remarkable ability to obtain her effects by simple, unstressed means. This, together with her beauty, charm, and grace, placed her Mildred as one of the best pieces of acting of the theatrical year. Mr. Vekey succeeded in building up a wholly consistent and real figure, second only to Miss Victor's, while Mr. Mack brought to Asano unusual comprehension and ability in a difficult role. Mr. Lowe was quietly sincere, and Miss Martin was more than acceptable. The father was sadly over-played, and the stock strain showed in the acting of several of the others. Mr. Craig seemed weirdly out of place as the Leper with a painful, whispery, enunciation. There were a few moments of vagueness as to lines, but, remarkably, Miss Victor, with most to say, seemed best to know her part. The play deserved more preparation.

The settings surpassed anything recently seen at the Castle Square, except for the last act, and the second was a vision of beauty and atmosphere. The production was well above the average, and with the play's fineness added, this year's Prize Play Performance should stand high in the annals of Harvard and the drama