THE FIRST DAY

For all the men in the Training Corps today begins the final test. Perhaps we have too tediously emphasized the need for preparation, but we cannot do it too often. For the examinations which start this morning are doubly important. In the first place, they have all the value and seriousness of finals in ordinary times. In the second, they are the last obstacles which stand in the way of a lieutenant's commission. Thus they are a test of academic as well as military fitness, for the past as well as for the future.

The general disorganization which has prevailed during the past month has forced many to prepare hastily, if at all, for the examinations. Many doubtless hope to escape failure because of the leniency of a patriotic instructor. But it must be remembered that the Faculty is not going to be so sentimental as to let violations of this sort occur. It is on the watch for those who would plead necessity as the reason for their own backwardness.

But while he cannot rely on the tenderness of the instructor, the candidate must realize how necessary it is for him to pass. The year's record stands behind him, the possibilities of a commission before. His failure would mean a great deal to himself, and a great deal to the country, for every man available is needed. It would be a great calamity if a large number of those ready for the service of the nation were rejected because of academic failure.

It is too late to urge further preparation; the examinations are upon us. We can only urge quickness of mind and a full recognition of the crying need.