CAPTAINS OF PEACE

It is a relief now and again in the universal talk about armament for war to remember that the whole world is not forever doomed to fighting. War is a preparation for peace; we must bear in mind even now that our goal is a more enduring peace, and plan for the resumption of our normal lives when the abnormal tension has been relieved.

The election of a captain for the hockey team is one of those events which keeps our judgment clear. We do not know whether the hockey team will exist next winter; we do not know whether many of the men on the team will be here to play, or whether their new captain will be here to lead them. Yet we must plan as though our present preparation for war is but temporary, to be succeeded by the accustomed round of healthier and more happy events.

The new captain is more than a good player. He is personally a man whom other men would willingly follow. That is a rare quality, and high praise. Perhaps the highest praise would be to say that he is a worthy successor to that captain who led Harvard through a season of brilliant victory, and through a no less honorable one of scanty defeat. Our teams have had throughout their history notable captains. George Percy is worthy of the tradition.