WAR

STRONG MINORITY SHOWING DEFEATED BY EXHAUSTING POLICY OF ADMINISTRATION SUPPORTERS IN MOST HISTORIC SITTING OF NATIONAL CONGRESS.

Early this morning the House of Representatives brought to a close one of the greatest sessions of its history by passing the war resolution which the Senate accepted day before yesterday. The final roll call showed 373 in favor of the measure and 50 opposed. By this action the United States has entered the great European war on the side of the Allies, determined to carry the struggle to a successful termination by every means at its disposal.

It was apparent since 10 o'clock yesterday morning when the House convened that it would follow the lead of the Senate and definitely commit the nation to conflict, and the greater part of the long discussion was taken up by the short speeches of various members who supported the measure, but wished to put themselves on record as reluctantly accepting war as the only course of honor. The one final step which will make the resolution complete is the signature of President Wilson, which will be affixed early this morning.

A somewhat unexpected opposition to the bill developed during the course of the afternoon and evening. It became evident that more than 40 members would vote "no" at the last roll call. Probably the greatest surprise of the evening was the shift of Congressman C. Kitchin, of North Carolina, to the side of the pacifists and with him went many weak-kneed followers. At the close of his protesting speech, however, Mr. Kitchin admitted that the measure he opposed would undoubtedly pass.

During the afternoon the House debate dragged, but at night the discussion became more lively. It was marked by several disturbances of a personal nature. Congressman Burnett, of Alabama, while attacking Kitchin, found occasion to direct a remark to Congressman Heflin, from his own state. The two Alabama members commenced such a furor that it was necessary for Sergeant-at-Arms Gordon to raise the mace to quiet the disorder.

The Senate adjourned Wednesday night to meet again at noon tomorrow. As the resolution must be returned to the Senate while that body is in session, the Senate while that body is in session, President Wilson will not receive the historical document for signature until this afternoon. From the moment of his approval war will be on.

The Government is immediately putting into effect the plans which it has long been formulating for such a moment as the present. An army of 1,727,846 men is provided for in the War Department's emergency military measure, under which the regular army is to be increased, the militia of the various states is to be drafted into Federal service, and an additional 1,000,000 men are to be raised by selective drafting. Telegraphic orders for the mobilization of 15,000 members of the Naval Militia and the Naval Reserve will be flashed throughout the land immediately upon the signing of the war resolution by President Wilson. Secretary of the Treasury McAdoo has asked that Congress appropriate immediately $3,502,- 517,000 to finance the war for one year. A bond issue to be absorbed by the Federal Reserve Banks, and increased taxation on estates, incomes, whisky, beer and tobacco, will be resorted to to raise the huge amount. There is little doubt but that the Government will have no difficulty in raising the requisite funds.

In addition to these war measures, it was reported early this morning that the Collector of the Port of Boston had received instructions to immediately seize all the German merchant ships here interned. In taking this step the Government has greatly increased our merchant marine at the expense of the enemy.

Cables from London and Paris received this morning report a great demonstration in these cities when the news was received of the entrance of the United States into the war. Throughout France resolutions acclaiming the United States were passed, and the capital was decked with the Stars and Stripes