COMING WORK OF UNIT DESCRIBED BY CORDIER

TARGET PRACTICE TO BE HELD

A statement outlining the work of the Reserve Officers' Training Corps of the University for the next few weeks was given out at the military office yesterday. Inclosed in the announcement was an official denial of the rumor that the French officers are to leave Harvard. The six French officers detailed for service here will continue in their work at Cambridge, it was asserted, until the completion of the comprehensive program of instruction planned for the University Corps. Captain Cordier, as well as Captains Bowen and Shannon and the various non-commissioned officers of the Regular Army now on duty here will also remain with the University throughout the period of intensive training.

Captain Dupont, to whom was ascribed the report that the six Frenchmen were to be transferred to Plattsburg has made the following statement for the CRIMSON:

"Contrary to the information which was published in the Boston Herald of Wednesday, May 9, there is no question of the French Officers leaving Harvard University. They have begun their duties and will continue until they are completed."

Concerning the work of the Corps in the near future, Captain Cordier's statement reads:

"With the assistance of the French and American officers the original program of training will be carried out. About 1000 men are now enrolled in the Corps, and the number will be increased to 1500 or more. Commencing May 14, nine and one-half hours per day will be devoted to military instruction. The schedule is most comprehensive and the training will be thorough in every re- spect. It will include besides instruction in the School of the Soldier, Squad, Company, Battalion and Regiment, the actual construction of trenches, bomb proofs, machine gun positions, etc., similar to those actually used by the French Army on the western front; and also gallery and target practice, bayonet fencing, field exercises, practice marches and manoeuvres. A large corps of topographical instructors have been added to the military department, and each cadet will be taught how to make road, position and outpost sketches.

"The Corps will occupy the Freshman Dormitories as barracks on June 20. The completed organization will include 14 companies and a band."

Lectures will start next week, and either a lecture or a section meeting will be held each night at 7.30. The French officers will deliver many of the former, illustrating their addresses by official French War films. Beginning next Monday the drill periods will extend from 8 to 12 in the morning and from 1.30 to 5.30 in the afternoon. Each day at 5 there will be a regular retreat formation followed by a parade. By the following week bayonet drills and target practice with sub-calibre rifles will commence