ALUMNI DEPART IN MEDICAL UNIT

Dr. Goldthwait '90 Will Head Corps Sailing For France.

Dr. Joel E. Goldthwait '90, president of the board of directors of the Robert B. Brigham Hospital left Boston last night for Washington, and will soon sail for Europe, accompanied by twenty orthopedic surgeons, including five graduates of the University. It will be Dr. Goldthwait's duty to place these surgeons in hospitals, where their services are most needed and afterward Dr. Goldthwait will make an inspection of the different hospitals and will report on his investigations to the United States Government in Washington on his return to America.

Dr. Goldthwait, who will receive the commission of major, will head the orthopedic unit which will become a part of the United States Army. Its members, after receiving their instructions from the Army Medical School, and upon their arrival in England, will report to Major Robert Jones, the leading orthopedic surgeon of that country.

Among the cities represented by surgeons are San Francisco, Philadelphia, Detroit, Baltimore, etc. The members of the unit will be commissioned captains or lieutenants. The graduates of the University on the roster are Drs. C. R. Metcalf '02, A. R. MacAusland '07, J. C. Graves '04, Roades Fayerweather '99, and F. C. Kidner '00.