PLATTSBURG CAMP UNDER WAY

350 MEMBERS OF UNIVERSITY ARRIVED YESTERDAY NOON.

The 350 odd members of the University who were accepted for the Officers' Training Camp at Plattsburg had all arrived at the camp by yesterday noon, and with the two thousand other potential officers spent the day in obtaining equipment and getting settled in their new quarters.

Instead of putting the entire assemblage under canvas, as was done in the camps last summer, the supply of tent-age in the country is so low that the officials have found it necessary to build barracks. Each company will therefore be housed in a long, low frame structure, which will be heated by stoves and lighted by electricity.

Major-General J. Franklin Bell, Commander of the Department of the East, spent yesterday at the camp, and made the following statement concerning the location of the post:

"I am convinced that it is an ideal spot for the training of soldiers for the summer months. For five or possibly six months of the year no better place could be selected, but because of the rigorous winters of this section I do not believe it could be used to advantage during those months for the training of large bodies of men, much of the training of which must be done in the open; but, there is no telling what the exigencies of the present war may require and it may become necessary to keep a large number of troops at the post throughout the winter. While this is my first visit to Plattsburg, I was for a year stationed at Fort Ontario, where climatic conditions are practically the same as here."