JOSEPH H. CHOATE '52 EMINENT JURIST DEAD

WAS 85 YEARS OF AGE

Joseph Hodges Choate '52, one of the leading figures in American public life, succumbed to an attack of heart failure at 11.30 Monday night. His sudden death resulted probably indirectly from the strenuous efforts put forth last week to welcome the Allied missions and to promote their complete success.

In the death of Mr. Choate the University loses one of its most distinguished graduates and the nation mourns one of that body of great Americans who were the great builders in a formative period of its history. He was known alike as lawyer, statesman, orator, diplomatist, and polished wit, but the world's greatest remembrance is founded on his public career.

Mr. Choate was born in Salem, Mass., on January 24, 1832. His father, a prominent physician of Salem and a graduate of the University in the Class of 1818, represented Salem in the General Court for seven years. Following in the footsteps of his father, Mr. Choate entered Harvard College, after receiving his preliminary education in the Salem public schools, and graduated in 1852. Two years later he received his degree from the Law School. He was the youngest of Dr. Choate's four sons, and married Caroline Dutcher Sterling in 1861.

Soon after receiving his law degree, Mr. Choate rose to the leadership of the New York bar, and in 1899 he was asked by President McKinley to go as American ambassador to London. While in England he was adopted by the inner circle of the British bar and made a "bencher", or member of the governing body of the Middle Empire, a rank of respect never conferred on a foreigner in England since 1650.

In 1907 Mr. Choate was first delegate from the United States to the International Peace Conference at the Hague. He has been president of the Associated Harvard Clubs, Alumni and Law School Associations, and has held numerous other important offices in societies and clubs. Twelve universities have conferred upon him the degree of LL.D.