THE MILLION MEN

As the draft bill takes some shape of life from the primieval slime out of which Congress created it, we are able to see a little more clearly what manner of men will form our new armies. It has been estimated that ten million men will be of the age subject for conscription. That is almost as large a total as Russia might offer. It is larger by two-thirds than the whole forces the German Empire has put in the field. Yet her men have been able to hold half the world at bay. The power in numbers of our nation is unconquerable. What our power in actual fighting ability is rests with the stamina and the bravery of our citizens. If their stamina is small and their bravery lacking, our ten million men will be of not much more value than ten million Chinese. By the stern ethics of nations the weak and the cowardly have no right to endure.

We are going to call on a half-million from that vast aggregation which is now rendered by law liable to draft. That is a proportion of one in twenty. If anyone, having reached within the last ten years that age which presumes to manhood, is fearful of undertaking those duties which he, as a courageous and honorable citizen, owes his nation, he may allay his fears for the time. The chances are nineteen to one against unwilling individuals being taken. Such over-whelming odds do not even partake of the adventure which hinges to a sporting chance.

It is to be believed, however, that the young men of this nation are not yet of such timid heart that the remoteness of the call to service may cheer them. If they are, if those ten million men will regard the twentieth part chosen as unfortunate, and the twentieth part will lament the injustice of a fate that calls them to the road of courage, then five hundred thousand drafted men were worth less than the English first army, volunteers for which almost fought for the opportunity to fight.

The first five hundred thousand will not be the last. It is within possibility, though terrible to reflect on, that the whole ten million will be called on before that cause which we have fully under taken is fully laid aside.

The chosen twentieth should regard themselves as privileged above those of their own age whom the draft passed over. They will be called upon to set a standard in honor, in fortitude, and in strength that other armies, following after them, may look to as an ideal.