KILAUEA EXHIBIT AT MUSEUM

MODEL OF HAWAIIAN VOLCANO WILL BE PRESENTED TO UNIVERSITY.

The model of the Hawaiian volcano Kilauea, which Robert Wilcox Sayles '01, of Brookline, will present to the University, has just been completed and is now installed in the Geological Museum. Mr. Sayles will give the model to the University this spring in memory of his sister, Caroline M. Sayles.

Kilauea is one of the famous active volcanoes of the world, and the model which is now in the Museum gives a comprehensive idea of the size, the surroundings, and the nature of the volcanic formations which it has made. Work on the model itself was begun four years ago, and the collection of maps and taking of pictures and surveys required a great deal of time before the work on the model could be started.

G. C. Curtis '96, is the artist. Before beginning his work he spent three months at the volcano taking photographs and maps. All the modelling was done from photographs, of which many were taken from kites. J. F. Haworth, of Pittsburgh, was responsible for the kite photography. Mr. Curtis was also the artist of the model of the Metropolitan District of Boston, which is on exhibit in the Museum. This latter won the first prize at the Paris Exposition in 1900, and is surpassed now only by the model of Kilauea.

The copy of the Hawaiian volcano is circular in form, with a scale of one foot to 1,500 feet. Thus the complete model is about 15 feet across, and shows in relief Kilauea, Kilauea-Iki (little Kilauea), Halemauman (house of big fire), and the surrounding volcanic plateau.

The model was originally done in wax by Mr. Curtis at his studio in Dorchester. A mould was then made, and the exhibit at the Museum is of plaster cast from the mould.

The University Museum is still closed to the public, but members of the University may see the exhibit of Kilauea by making arrangements with Mr. Sayles, Professor Woodworth, or Professor Atwood, at the University Museum.