BUYING OF BONDS A DUTY

EXCELLENT INVESTMENT

The following letter has been received by the CRIMSON from Major Henry Lee Higginson '55 in regard to the purchase of Liberty Bonds by members of the University:

"You are helping to sell the "Liberty Bonds" and so perhaps would like help from me.

"There are various reasons for buying the bonds. These bonds are the promise of the richest and the strongest Government in the world. They cannot fail to be paid, principal and interest; will rise when the war ends, and are, therefore, a desirable security. They are the promise of your 'firm,' the United States, and are issued to help on the cause of Freedom and Civilization, which we believe in, by which we live, and which we must have or disappear as citizens,--though we might become subjects of a superior power. In short, we are all glad, as honest, honorable men, to help in the winning of this present war, and help each in his own way.

"Our Nation has been prospering largely in a financial sense through this war, and perhaps the farmers, as a class, have prospered more than anybody, but many manufacturers also have prospered. In consequence, we have the largest pile of gold that the world ever saw, according to the statisticians, it being $3,600,000,000. A great deal of gold or gold paper is in the pockets of people all over the country and doing no good. The large banks, corporations, and capitalists are buying these bonds in large blocks, but, inasmuch as this is a democracy, every man having his say with the next, it behooves us citizens each to have at least one bond. We are looking for the $50 in your pocket, and want it now. It is doing you no good in your pocket; it will do the country, and therefore the Great Cause, good invested in a bond. When you have bought one bond you will want another, and so become a capitalist, or at least will have laid up something against a rainy day. Money is good only if it is used.

"Another reason for buying it is that as a citizen you will feel more strongly about your country, if you put your earnings into its lap.

"In short, to buy a bond will do you good and do the country good, and therefore, do civilization good.

"If you have not enough reasons there, tell us and we will give you some more. (Signed) "HENRY L. HIGGINSON."

The undergraduate committee for the purchase of Liberty Bonds at the University has arranged to place coupon bonds of all denominations within the reach of every undergraduate.