ADVISE ATHLETICS NEXT YEAR

CONTINUATION URGED BY PRES. WILSON AND BACKED BY COMMITTEE.

President Wilson in a letter to Lawrence Perry, of the New York Evening Post, urges the continuation of college athletics as an aid to fitting men for national service. In accordance with this suggestion, intercollegiate football will probably be a feature of the fall season of sports at many colleges in the country. The schedules already arranged, with some modifications, will be carried out by the greater number of colleges affiliated with the American Intercollegiate Football Rules Committee, in the opinion of the members of the Central Board on Officials as voiced Saturday evening at their meeting at the Hotel Biltmore, New York. At the meeting were Dr. James A. Babbitt, of Haverford, chairman of the committee; Walter Camp, of Yale; Fred W. Moore '93, and about twenty other graduate managers and unofficial representatives of other colleges who had been invited to consult with the Central Board.

Such activities among the football players as will not interfere with military training at the colleges were approved of by the meeting unanimously, and the recommendation will be carried to the meeting of the National Collegiate Association to be held in Washington, D. C., in August. The resumption of intercollegiate athletics under present conditions, however, would at the best be difficult and revolutionary. By far the greater part of the men who have composed the athletic teams of the larger universities have entered some form of military service, and the teams which would represent these universities would necessarily be composed of much less suitable material. It would be necessary to take certain steps in regard to eligibility rules, and it is expected that, with the possible resumption of athletics in the fall, rules will be adopted which will permit the freshmen whose numbers will not be greatly depleted, to participate, thus suspending in limited direction the present one-year residence rule.