A SEVERE LOSS

Professor Francke has resigned. His departure is the latest of a succession of serious blows which the University Faculty has suffered this year: the death of Professors Parker, Royce, and Muensterberg, and the resignation of Professors Taussig and Wendell. The latest loss is not the least. For by his sincere devotion to the cause of his nation, no less than by his declaration of allegiance to the United States, Kuno Francke has won the admiration of even the most intemperate enemies of Germany. He was the last active apologist of the German cause at Harvard, and now that he has gone, we shall miss the candor, the tolerance, the whole-heartedness, which he contributed to discussion of the war.

The finest part of his attitude is that it contains no bitterness or vindictiveness. Although he belongs to the nation of Lissauer and von Bissing, he expresses none of their sentiments, but hopes, with Professor Muensterberg, that an ultimate alliance of Great Britain, Germany and the United States will maintain peace in the world. We feel, of course, that this is impossible as long as the present dynasty and philosophy prevail in Germany. But Professor Francke's attitude is at least a step in the right direction. It indicates the path of tolerance and foresight which President Wilson indicated in his speech of April 2d.

It is hard to be anti-German when there are such Germans as Professor Francke. He represents the best part of the Teutonic people, with whom, as the President said, we have no quarrel. He represents the splendid history which German art and literature achieved before the deadening influence of militarism fell over it. This is the spirit with which America cannot but sympathize, and it is to free the true Germany as well as to free the rest of the world that the United States have entered the war. Let us not forget this purpose, even in the time of greatest bitterness. The hideous thraldom of militarism and junkerism, of Hapsburg and Hohenzollern, can no longer be endured. The age of Caesars and Napoleons has gone. German dreams of world conquest are an anachronism, and to safeguard progress we must defeat the German Army. But let us remember, paradoxical as it may seem, that in doing so we are helping to liberate the real Germany.