YALE MEN MAY TRAIN AT FORT SILL---BROWN GIVES CREDIT TO FARMERS---TRAINING AT TECH. PROBABLE

Dr. Brady Urges Yale Men to Drive Ambulances.--65 Acres of Land at Scituate for Brown Students to Cultivate.--Four Year Military Course Being Considered at M. I. T.

As the majority of the Yale candidates for the intensive training camps are specialists in artillery, due to the experience gained by the Yale batteries last summer, it is likely that they will not be divided among the various camps according to geographic divisions, but will be sent in a body to Fort Sill, Okla. In regard to this, the commandant of the Yale unit, Captain Danford, has issued the following statement through the Yale News:

"It is very probable that all Yale artillery candidates who have made application for camps will go to Fort Sill. The artillery camp there offers the best facilities for that branch of the service in which the University is most interested; and, although nothing definite has been announced as yet, the chances are good for such a plan and we are all hoping that it will materialize."

Yale men who are below the age limit for service in any of the military or naval branches of service of the United States Government are being urged to join the ambulance work in France as the service which can best be done by such men without sacrificing their college education.

College Men Will Make Good Officers

Dr. Cyrus Townsend Brady, the clergyman and novelist, agrees that college men will on the average make better officers than any other class of civilians, and has no doubt that those who are of age should attend an officers' training camp. "If it is a long war," he says, in an article in the Yale News, "there will be plenty of time for the under-age men to become old enough to obtain commissions; and if it is a short one, it would be a foolish waste for them to leave college now and then never see service even in the ranks. You must consider how infinitely more important officers are than privates. Napoleon fell largely because he lost all his veterans in the retreat from Moscow and there were no experienced men to lead the troops. It is estimated that 60 per cent. of the French soldiers are brave or cowardly just in proportion as their commander shows these emotions. You must not spoil good material for officers by enlisting aimlessly now, or until special circumstances arise to warrant such action. For the present, Yale men should content themselves with making themselves fit to answer the call when it comes. The draft plan may fail, for it is impossible to tell how serious the resistance in certain districts will become. Then the only thing to do will be to call for volunteers, and then, perhaps, it will be the duty of all Yale men to go.

"Such Yale under-age men as feel that they should go now will do well, I think, to join the American Ambulance Corps, for this is a fine work and one which can be done without sacrificing a college education. Probably some arrangement can be made with the University authorities whereby it will be possible to receive credit for some, at least, of the six months which would be required in France."

Faunce Believes in Farming

As a supplement to the recent faculty resolutions passed at Brown, which give credit to students who leave college to go into farming, and in order to emphasize the need of agriculture and intensive cultivation of the soil in the present crisis, President Faunce, of that university, has come out personally in favor of it. He has stated that "65 acres of land in Scituate have been secured on which a picked group of Brown students will be able to camp and devote the summer to cultivation."

"From the war," he continued, "there arise three problems with which we have to deal: The problem of shipbuilding, military and naval work, and the problem of sustaining the food supply. While a number of the engineers at Brown would be valuable as naval designers, most of the students know little about the making of ships. As regards military training, we are thoroughly awake. Our students, according to some of the military men, have accomplished in a month what other organizations have taken much longer to do.

"A problem, however, which we must consider seriously is the food problem. It is said authoritatively that in New England the food supply at one time is never more than enough for two weeks. What would happen, then, if the Hoosac Tunnel and other means of transportation were destroyed?

"Farmers in the West and in the East are willing to do their part, but they report that there is great difficulty in securing help. Thousands have gone to work in the munitions factories. At this time, we should be willing to work on the farm, thinking of it not so much for the wages, but as patriotic service. Every bit of spare ground should be cultivated.

"Everywhere people are seriously considering this problem of food supply. In one city in Massachusetts the town common has been ploughed up. In nearly every city, school and municipal garden contests are being encouraged."

Plan Training Course at Tech.

Plans for a four-year military training course which would fit graduates for positions in the reserve army of officers have nearly been completed at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Several of the regular army officers have conferred with Major Cole, head of military affairs at the Institute, in regard to including military training in the regular work throughout the four years. It is expected that if this course be established the Technology men drafted under the conscription bill will be assigned to the Institute and be allowed to finish their regular course while securing their military training. As the freshman class is already obliged to drill, the new course would not affect them, but the three upper classes would add drill and field work to their present schedule.