CAPTAIN CORDIER

From that time, almost a year and a half ago, when the first Regiment was formed, until now, Captain Cordier has been in charge of instructing Harvard men in the science of war. When he was first detailed at the University, our nation was at peace, and few men, even the wisest, thought the possibility more than remote that we should ever get in the German war. We still talked in terms of Mexico, and wondered whether we had an army sufficient to regulate to the law of stability that revolutionary state. As a nation we had no conception of the way a great power must make war.

The men who saw in the early Regiment actual and necessary preparation for immediate defence were few. The country was apathetic. It was small wonder the University was apathetic. Captain Cordier, as newly appointed Professor of Military Science and Tactics, had to combat that apathy before he could arouse enthusiasm. How well he succeeded is shown by the great success of the Regiment, which became an example and a standard throughout the country. The hundreds of men who last summer attended Plattsburg received their initial impulse to prepare themselves for national service from the inspiration of the Harvard Commandant.

This year Captain Cordier drew up immediately upon the severance of diplomatic relations with Germany a plan of intensive training. When the actual state of war later came upon us, this plan was ready for fulfillment. The success of the Corps needs no laudation. Many ideas here initiated have been adopted at the officers' training camps.

That is the simple record of sixteen months' development. From no beginning, under command of Captain Cordier there has been established at the University a camp prepared to furnish trained and competent officers for the country in its need. It may be believed without exaggeration that the post of Commandant of the Harvard Corps has become in the work of preparing leaders for our armies second only to the post of Commandant at West Point.

Leaving his work so near fulfillment, Captain Cordier undertakes a new and different labor. His promotion to the General Staff is a notable tribute to the ability he has here so clearly shown. As he has given the very best he might give to the complete success of the Corps, so he will give his very best to the larger and more national work which the General Staff must do.

The fulfillment of the Captain's efforts here will come at some later date, when as leaders in the battle-line Harvard officers push the fight against the strength of Germany.

The fulfillment of his efforts on the General Staff may not be foreseen. On the wisdom of that body depend many American lives spent through months of warfare. We believe that Captain Cordier will add strength in its deliberations, breadth of view, and adaptibility to new conditions of martial science.

The esteem and congratulations of his men go with him to his new post of service and honor.