NEW COMPANIES FORMED

350 MEN HAVE APPLIED

To date 350 men have applied for admission to the Reserve Officers' Training Corps since enlistments were thrown open after the spring recess. The new cadets enrolled will be assigned to provisional companies, each of which will be placed in charge of a sergeant-in-structor of the regular army. These companies will form a provisional battalion under the command of Captain Bowen, who is to supervise the instruction of these units. The incoming cadets will be distributed so as to equalize the strength of the companies.

Beginning Monday, when intensive training starts, six hours daily will be devoted to practical instruction up to and including Saturday, May 12. In the morning the period will be from 9 to 12 o'clock, and in the afternoon from 2 to 5 o'clock. The band is to drill and practice daily from 5 to 6 o'clock in the afternoon.

During the first week the schedule for training the provisional companies will not be the same as that for the regular companies. The former are to devote 18 hours to the School of the Soldier and of the Squad, and 18 hours to the School of the Company, close order. Special attention will be paid during the drills to School of the Soldier and Squad movements, as well as to those in the School of the Company. For each of the provisional companies, acting non-commissioned officers will be selected.