"AS YOU WERE"

There is apparent an universal tendency on the part of men who have entered their applications for Plattsburg and who have taken their final examinations in college work to regard themselves as for the nonce free lances, privileged to wander where they please. They have completed their academic work; ergo that lies behind them. They have not been admitted to Plattsburg; ergo that lies before them. In the meantime they are unleashed comets in the orderly procession of stars, confined to no monotonous orbit, but lawless in the seven heavens.

It is sadly true, however, that Harvard University and the cosmic order are not partial to lawless individuals, human or astral. The long established order of things requires that a man be at one task until he assume another. There is no Nirvanic peace between our cycles of toil. Until a Plattsburg applicant has been definitely accepted at that camp, he is both actually and morally bound to the training corps here.

We cannot allow the general disorder attendant upon our entrance into the war to disrupt our lives more than is essential to our country's safety. The normal course of events demands that we remain here until June. There is no national benefit to be derived from a self imposed vacation coming at this time. The Administrative Board wisely and generously allowed the regular spring vacation. To seek more is to be unappreciative.

When Marshal Joffre arrives he should be greeted by the full strength of the Reserve Corps. To present a depleted organization for the review of our distinguished visitor would be a discourtesy to him. Every man who can without actual loss continue his training throughout the period until his attendance at Plattsburg is required should do so for the honor of the Corps, and as a mark of small appreciation towards the Marshal of France.

To those who are forced by the necessity of their affairs to take a few days off before they assume their duties at the training camp, Dean Yeomans, who impartially and fairly hears and decides each case on its merits, will no doubt be lenient.