SIGNAL CORPS STARTS WORK

CAPT. C. E. RUSSELL WILL SPEAK AT FIRST MEETING THIS EVENING.

The Signal Reserve Corps of the University will begin work this evening, when a meeting for all men interested in this branch of the service will be held in the Cruft Laboratory at 7.30 o'clock. Captain C. E. Russell of the United States Signal Corps, who has been detailed by the Eastern Department to recruit a reserve battalion, will speak, and explain in full the plans made for the corps at the University. It is planned to have one course of classes on Monday, Wednesday and Friday nights especially for members of the University, while another group on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday evenings will be held primarily for men who are not members of the University. Five instructors under Captain Russell will have charge of the sections.

Members of the University in the R. O. T. C. will be permitted to join the Signal Corps battalion, but such men will remain in the R. O. T. C. until the Signal Corps is called out for active Federal service. When the Corps is ordered out, the members will leave Cambridge for some other training camp.

The meeting tonight is open to those who are interested in radio work, or who are considering the Signal Corps as a means of serving the country. The regular meeting will begin at 7.30 o'clock, but those who are in doubt as to the nature of the work of the corps or the qualifications for admittance, will be expected to report at 7 o'clock, when all such questions will be answered. All men who intend to join this branch of the service are to report tonight, as it will be difficult to enter the course after the meetings are started.