FRANCE WANTS U. S. STUDENTS

JULES STEEG EXPRESSED THIS WISH TO HARVARD CLUB OF PARIS.

The annual dinner of the Harvard Club of Paris was held last Saturday evening in a truly military atmosphere. As the representative of the French government, Jules Steeg, Minister of Public Instruction, was the principal speaker, and in addition there were present the United states Ambassador, William Graves Sharp; Dr. John H. Finley, Commissioner of Education of the State of New York; and James Hazen Hyde '98, who presided. Graduates and undergraduates of the University who are enrolled in the Lafayette Escadrille and the American Ambulance Service attended in uniform.

The Minister of Public Instruction congratulated the University on the great work of mutual enlightenment of two peoples regarding each other, which, he said, "is today bearing admirable fruit." He referred to the sacrifices already made by Harvard men in the service of France and expressed a desire to see more American students at French universities. He said that his government would do all it could toward the foundation of an "American Students' House" in Paris to encourage and help Americans coming to France to study.

French Students Will Come Here.

"Let me advise them, however," M. Steeg added, "not to shut themselves up in that house, but to establish confident and cordial relations with our students and our professors, who already extend to them a welcoming hand. You will receive with the same affection those of our students who on the morrow of victory will direct their steps toward your universities.

"I want them to be numerous," he concluded, "because I know all of them will gain by contact with your energy and practical sense, your firm ideals, pure morals, and elastic liberty."