WAR AND RUMORS OF ANYTHING

The idea having once received foot-hold that the Corps is to be shortly broken up and its members consigned again to the ways of peace, is not readily dislodged. A group of men thrown together lives on gossip, and with proper dramatic instinct, accepts the most improbable gossip as the true. It is foolish to deny idle rumors, for that gives stability to them, and starts a new chain of rumors without end.

It is sufficient to say that President Lowell has promised that the Corps will not be broken up for any cause which may now be conceived. The presence of our French instructors assures lessons in the science of position warfare which may not be gained save at the front. The rudiments of American military art have been mastered by the students. A mingling of our own system with French methods may be achieved.

Whether or not this camp is recognized by the Government as providing sufficient training for officers only Secretary Baker in his wisdom knows. And there are some who presume that he is not exactly aware. But without that recognition, men who have learned here the primer lessons of trench fighting will find those lessons not without their value when they undertake battle in France. It is within conceivability that some men now undertaking intensive training at other, more governmentally favored camps, may have some of their lessons to unlearn before they begin to learn.

For those hopeless believers in despair who prefer at all costs to credit the worst, it is sufficient to say simply this: Either the camp is going to continue in practical conformation to original schedule or not. If it is, they have nothing to worry about, for they will get what they expected. If it isn't they have either learned a great deal which is of unforgettable value, or they haven't. If they have, they have nothing to worry about, for they are the possessors of wisdom. If they haven't, they are incontestably stupid, and would learn nothing from Hindenburg, Brusiloff, and Petain conducting a seminar in the art of war.

It is possible the training camp may break up today. It is also possible that Germany will win thumbs down. And quite as likely that the moon is made of green cheese.

We have said something. Now let Rumor wag her thousand tongues.