LIBERTY BOND SALE TO CLOSE

APPLICATIONS FOR SUBSCRIPTIONS MUST BE AT BANKS BY TWELVE.

At noon today applications for the Liberty Loan bonds will close. By this time all subscriptions from this district must be in the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, and after twelve o'clock no applications will be received. In order that New England may supply her full quota of $240,000,000 it will be necessary that at least $50,000,000 more be turned in before that time.

Yesterday the banks of Boston and Cambridge were kept busy well into the night filing applications. In many places the crowds had to wait in line before being able to get to the desk.

Although it is certain that the amount subscribed yesterday was large--well over $25,000,000--it is impossible to secure any official estimates on the amount which this section will eventually produce. As a matter of fact any accurate estimate it would be impossible to make, inasmuch as bankers themselves have no means of ascertaining the exact amount which banks and companies have collected, and which have not yet been turned in. Reports at a late hour last night, however, indicated that the original $2,000,000,000 asked for would be well oversubscribed throughout the country.

It will also be difficult to ascertain the exact amount which the University will have contributed to the grand total, although careful observers place this amount very high. Both the Cambridge and the Charles River Trust Companies will take care of undergraduate subscriptions until noon today.