MAY BUY MACHINE GUN

DR. DARLING LECTURED

The members of Company A of the University R. O. T. C., impressed by the importance laid by the French officers on the use of the machine gun, started yesterday among the companies of the First Battalion a campaign with the object of securing such a gun for the use of the Corps before the end of the week.

A collection among the companies of this battalion yesterday netted one-third of the necessary amount for the gun, and its ammunition, and it is believed that the gun itself can be obtained before the four companies leave the range. Similar amounts raised from the other battalions would make it possible for each company to receive instruction with this important arm during its week at Wakefield.

Initial First-Aid Lecture

The Corps was given the first of a series of lectures on first-aid by Dr. E. A. Darling '90 last night at the regular lecture hour. Dr. Darling discussing his subject in general by way of introduction, described in detail the manner of treating persons suffering from shock, under which category "shell-shock," the most frequent disability of the present war, is included. The emergency method of dealing with hemorrhages and simple fractures was also explained. Dr. Darling has divided the types of injuries under the common classification of those in which the skin is not broken and of those in which it is, and will discuss this latter type in his lecture this evening.

Following up the bayonet drills which the companies have had daily for the past two weeks, fencing between individuals with blunt sticks the size of a rifle will begin in the near future. During these exercises heavy gloves will be worn, and the face will be protected by a light baseball mask. After a certain degree of efficiency with these elementary weapons has been attained the men will be given regular bayonet fencing pads, and will fence with collapsible bayonets attached to the ends of the pieces.

The transfer of all the rifles of the first two battalions from Hemenway Gymnasium to the armory in Smith Halls will be finished by tonight and hereafter this armory only will be used.