E. J. WENDELL DIED IN FRANCE

Was Philanthropist, Amateur Actor and Great Track Athlete.

Evert Jansen Wendell '82, an Overseer of the University since 1914 and one of the greatest track athletes the College has ever had, died suddenly at Neuilly, France, on August 28. He had only shortly before arrived in Europe where he had gone in connection with aviation work.

Mr. Wendell was born in Boston, December 5, 1860, but spent his youth in New York City. He entered the University with the class of 1882 and attained early prominence by running the 100-yard dash in the fall track games in 10 1-4 seconds, one half second faster than the previous record. It was due to his enthusiasm and energy that the first University track team was formed the following spring, and he was captain of it all four years he was in College. In the spring of 1881 he ran the 100-yard dash in 10 seconds flat, being the first college athlete to make that record. Before he graduated he had competed in 80 races and had won all but four of them.

After graduating, Mr. Wendell continued to take a keen interest in athletics, not only as an official at the big track meets but on various athletic committees. In particular, he was chairman of the committees which arranged the international games between Cambridge and Oxford on one side, and Yale and Harvard on the other in 1899, 1901, and 1904, and he was a member of the Olympia committee.

While at College Mr. Wendell was made chairman of the Class Day Committee, and was an editor of the CRIMSON.

Gave Homes to Poor Boys.

In addition to his fame as an athlete and his prominent place in College life, Mr. Wendell was widely known as a philanthropist. He organized clubs for the poor boys of New York City and in many cases found homes for the more promising in various parts of the country. He was one of the pioneers in helping the boys of the slums to better citizenship by giving them a chance to grow up in an out of doors atmosphere. He was also interested in such organizations as the Society for Reformation of Juvenile Delinquents, the George Junior Republic, and the New York S. P. C. A.

Starting in the leading part of the Hasty Pudding play "Dido and Aeneas," written by Owen Wister '82, Mr. Wendell soon achieved a reputation in amateur theatricals and became a member of the Players Club of New York. His interest in the stage caused him to gather together theatrical literature and pictures, play bills, and autographs of wellknown players. His library and collection are among the most complete in the world.

His most recent interest has been in aviation and he has veen very active, particularly since the outbreak of the war, in furthering and promoting flying, especially at Squantum. It was in this work that he was engaged when he met his death in France. He was connected with the Red Cross and other relief work as well as with aviation.

Although he wrote but little, Mr. Wendell's published works show his ideals and plans and describe his activities with great vividness. Among these articles are "An Ideal in College Athletics," published in the Monthly of December, 1888, and "Boys' Clubs," which was later quoted by Jacob A. Riis.