INFORMAL BASEBALL AND TRACK COMMENCE TODAY

WANT DISTANCE RUNNERS

An opportunity to engage in fall practice in baseball, track, and rowing will be offered to all members of the College this year. Coach Hugh Duffy will meet all baseball candidates from the Freshman and other classes at Soldiers Field this afternoon at 3 o'clock, at which time plans for the fall season will be outlined. It is expected that informal games will be staged with nearby teams, and that interdormitory and interclass contests will be had, provided enough men report.

For the track and cross-country candidates, Coach Edward Farrell will be at Soldiers Field this afternoon at 5 o'clock, and all from the Freshman and other classes who wish to take advantage of this fall training are to report at that time. Cross-country men are particularly wanted. In this sport also, it is hoped that informal races will be held with teams in the vicinity of Boston. The great use which has been made of distance runners in the French army as agents de liaison demonstrates the practical value of this branch of sport.

Crew men from the Freshman and upper classes will not get into action until Thursday at 3.30 o'clock. Coach William Haines will be on hand to instruct oarsmen, and there will be interclass and interdormitory races, the extent of these being determined by the number of men who come out. Much can be accomplished toward a successful Freshman crew next spring, if this fall rowing is taken hold of, and its value toward University material in the event that intercollegiate athletics should be resumed next year will be very great. Crews will this year be sent out from Newell Boathouse only.

This whole program of fall athletics, however, is simply to give the men in college a chance to get exercise and practice in the sports they like and nothing definite has been arranged as to games with outside teams. If may be forecasted that next spring's athletics will be strongly affected by the enthusiasm with which the plan this fall is accepted.