NAVAL COURSES WILL LEAD TO COMMISSIONS

PRAISES TRAINING

In an interview with a CRIMSON representative yesterday afternoon, Franklin Delano Roosevelt '04, Assistant Secretary of the Navy, stated that he firmly believed that ensigns' commissions would be granted those members of the Naval Reserve who successfully completed the naval courses offered at the University this year, and added that such commissions might even be granted directly, without special examinations. He advised all University men who are at present in the fourth class of the Reserve to take advantage of the opportunity offered them by the recent order to return to college on furlough and take the proposed naval training.

Secretary Roosevelt's answer to the question "Would you advise members of the Naval Reserve to return to the University this year," was, "I do, and most emphatically. The training which is being arranged here is excellent, and it is the best thing most of the class four men can do." The reporter then asked what opportunity these men would have of taking examinations for ensigns' commissions, and the Secretary made this rather unexpected reply.

"Under the arrangement which I believe will be made they will not only be eligible for such examinations, but will probably be commissioned when they have satisfactorily completed the course."

Secretary Roosevelt, who was President of the CRIMSON while in College, was in Cambridge to attend the meeting of the Board of Overseers held yesterday. He inspected the Radio School after the meeting and returned to Washington last night.