F. D. ROOSEVELT '04

The grievance of American young men that they are considered infants by their elders until they have passed middle age is altogether too well founded. A young man's ability is a difficult thing to make recognized per se. This is especially true in so conservative a business as our national government, where we can point to few men of tender years holding positions of responsibility. We have not had too many William Pitts or Lord John Russells. An exception to this rule, however, is our Assistant Secretary of the Navy, Franklin Delano Roosevelt '04, who will speak on the Navy in the New Lecture Hall at five o'clock this afternoon. He is a young man and knows how to talk to younger men. He is one of the progressive influences in our navy and knows how to explain his subject. What is more remarkable is that he has something remarkable to tell. With the war on, the navy demands our interest, whether or not it has been directed that way before. Our naval program, in the planning of which Secretary Roosevelt was invaluable, promises to lift our sea forces to a position worthy of the United States. It will be no dull dissertation this afternoon when the man behind our naval guns speaks. It will be no small audience which gathers in the New Lecture Hall, for Harvard men, above all things, like leaders.