SPEAKS ON RELATIONS OF TECH. WITH UNIVERSITY

Two Institutions Must Work Together, Says President Maclaurin.

President Maclaurin of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, in a speech given at the annual dinner of the Institute Alumni Association Saturday night, warned Boston and New England against losing supremacy in education as they had lost it in commerce, and touched upon the relations of the Institute with the University. His speech sounded the keynote of the addresses at the dedication of Walker Memorial, attended by more than 600 former students and guests, and urged adequate support of this section as an educational centre.

"Our largest question," said President Maclaurin, "is undoubtedly that of our future relations with Harvard. Both institutions have a great record of achievement, Harvard incomparably the greater if we survey the whole field of education, but not greater in the particular field that the Institute has cultivated. Each institution is strong enough to play an independent part, and there will doubtless be some who will advocate that course.

"Before settling the matter, however, we should observe carefully the broad current of education and not forget that there are many forces tending to divert the stream of influence from Boston and New England.

"This section has lost its supremacy in the realm of commerce and it may lose it in the realm of education too. Indeed, I believe that it will inevitably lose it if it dissinates its energies and scatters its forces. Its greatest asset is its record of achievement and its tradition of high purpose and exalted aim. Let us continue to aim high. If we do so and are properly supported we can build up in this community one of the very greatest, if not the greatest centres to be found anywhere in the world of science, pure and applied, for the two must go together--a centre of scientific thought that will profoundly affect the future of this country and of the world."