OVERWHELM FIRST RIVAL

ABSENCE OF TEAM-WORK

In a practice game at the Charles-bank rink yesterday afternoon the informal University hockey team defeated the United States Naval Radio School 7 to 1. For the first five minutes of play the outcome of the game was in doubt, but after this initial uncertainty the superiority of the University players became evident, and the large score in their favor resulted. Individual play characterized the work of both sevens, and it was not until the second period that team-play became effective.

At the beginning of the contest there was no scoring, although the University forwards threatened the Radio goal several times, and the sailors attempted a few long shots. At the end of six minutes, E. Cabot '20 netted the puck from a scrimmage in front of the cage, and two minutes later W. W. Rice '18 tallied on a short shot from the side. The Navy then made their only goal, when Cann scored. For the remained of the period of the informals maintained a slight advantage.

In the final period of the University seven scored five times, showing improved team-work and more accuracy in shooting. R. E. Gross '19 scored after eight minutes and Rice caged two quick shots shortly afterward. Several substitutions failed to weaken the offence and H. F. Gibbs '20 scored the final two tallies in the last minutes of play.

Gross, A. H. Bright '19 and Rice starred for the informals on the offensive, while N. S. Walker '20 was the strongest defensive player. Randall and Cann of the Radio School threatened the University goal several times.

Gore Again Defeated.

In the second game of the Freshman dormitory hockey series played on the river yesterday afternoon, Standish defeated Gore 2 to 0. Gore has now suffered two defeats and Smith and Standish have each won one encounter. G. Sutton '21 and R. Jenney '21 starred for the winning team, the former scoring both the goals. In addition to the shooting of these men, the Standish attack in general was strong. L. Evers '21 was the outstanding defensive player for the Gore seven.

The summary of the informals' practice game follows: INFORMALS  RADIO SCHOOL Rice, l.w.  r.w., Greves Cabot, Gibbs, Frenning, l.c.  r.c., Cann. Gross, Hoffman, r.c.  l.c., Randall Bright, Higgins, r.w.  l.w., Deming, Thorp Walker, c.p.  c.p., Beaman, Doyer Hawkins, Wason, p.  p., Morgan Louderback, g.  g., Perry

Score--Informals 7, Radio School 1. Goals--Rice 3, Gibbs 2, Cabot, Gross, Cann. Referee--E. L. Bigelow '21. Timekeeper--T. M. Avery '21. Goal Umpires--Avery and R. E. Larsen '21. Time--18 minute periods.