UP TO INDIVIDUALS

The vote taken yesterday on the question of putting College exercises ahead one hour proves that the majority of students was not convinced of the merits of such a plan. We are not to think the scheme was opposed on selfish grounds alone. The horror of inconvenience may have influenced a great many, but they were sagacious enough to hide the fact. The measure went down to defeat because to too many it seemed impractical and futile.

Although the measure has been disposed of, the situation is unchanged. In spite of five holidays and plans for festive Mondays, neither anthracite nor bituminous is more plentiful. The coal question remains a serious thing. It was thought that the Student Council's plan of early retiring and early rising would contribute Harvard's small share to the solution of this problem. The student body has thought otherwise. Among the opponents of this plan there were heard those who condemned official action and advocated individual effort. Let every individual have it as his duty to economize coal and its derivatives. This is the only course left. We charge every student to feel this responsibility. Electricity is the product most easily economized, and we can do a small though valuable bit of conserving. Think twice before flooding your suite with unnecessary light. Where two thousand are concerned the saving of a few hours per day by each is not insignificant.