PLAN COLLEGE COLLABORATION

University of Cambridge Names Board to Co-ordinate Study.

The senate of the University of Cambridge has appointed a committee to consider educational collaboration with American universities. On the committee are Cambridge men who are graduates of colleges in this country. Trinity College, the biggest educational institution in Cambridge University, has just appointed as one of its four tutors Gaillard T. Lapsley '93, an American citizen born in Philadelphia. The work of the tutors of Trinity is somewhat similar to that of the dean of college in an American University. They look after and superintend the private life or the undergraduates and are the officials with whom the parents correspond. The move may be said to indicate the genuine reaching out in friendly co-operation towards American universities on the part of Cambridge.

A pamphlet is under preparation by the vice-chancellor indicating what can be done in the way of teaching for research students at Cambridge, and steps have been taken to tabulate for future Cambridge students the facilities for research work in the great American centres of study. Of the 4,000 undergraduates of Cambridge University there are only 200 remaining in Cambridge, and work done in this direction can hardly be operative until after the war.