APPOINT EXCHANGE PROFESSOR

CORPORATION NAMES SCHOFIELD LECTURER TO WESTERN COLLEGES.

Professor W. H. Schofield, A.M. '93, Ph.D, '95, has been appointed by the Corporation as the University's representative for this year to the Western colleges.

The arrangements for Professor Schofield's appointment were completed some time ago. When the death of his stepson, Lieutenant William Halsell Cheney, of the class of 1920, occurred last week, it was feared that Professor Schofield might withdraw from the engagement. Both he and Mrs. Schofield, however, were unwilling to have him abandon his undertaking, because they felt it to be an opportunity for public service. In addition to the University appointment, on his trip through the West he will act as the representative of the American-Scandinavian Foundation, of which he is president, and of the National Security League, of which he is a prominent member.

Professor Schofield has been Professor of Comparative Literature at Harvard since 1906. He was the third Harvard Exchange Professor at the University of Berlin and in 1911 lectured at the Sorbonne and the University of Copenhagen.

In the past it has been the custom of the University to appoint three exchange professors, one to go to the West, another to France, and the third to Germany. There has been, however, no exchange professor to Germany for several years. The University's representative to the Western colleges is appointed to give a course of lectures at each of several institutions in the West. Professor Schofield plans this year to visit Knox, Beloit, Carleton, Grinnell and Colorado Colleges, in the order named.