Stand by Mr. Hoover!

COMMENT

The article by ex-President Taft in another column on this page states in a most convincing way the reasons which exist for backing up the work of Mr. Hoover as food conservator. We have in Mr. Hoover a man of most valuable experience abroad in a particular and most unusual kind of work which someone had to do here. We had in him a man not only of experience and ability, but one of the highest and most patriotic motives--a man above party animus or bias, above private interest, without concealments or prejudices. He patriotically assumed a most ungrateful duty, the performance of which was bound to arouse unthinking criticism. Whether or not he has acted wisely in connection with every detail of his great and complicated work, he has certainly done well on the whole, and has entitled himself to the hearty support of all who are connected with the government or administration of public affairs, as well as to the public sympathy. Yet he is treated by honorable senators of the Committee on Manufactures as if he were a criminal under prosecution!

This sort of treatment of a deserving public servant is either very short-sighted policy or else it is a deliberate service to the enemy. Mr. Taft is well within the truth when he says that food conservation here, and the sparing of food supplies for Italy, France and England, is the only effective means that we have at this moment of fighting the common enemy. In treating as an enemy the man who has under his command this little fight of ours with wheat and corn and meat and sugar, the senators are in simple fact weakening our allies and helping the Germans. What will the people do and think about that? We believe that they will rally heartily to Mr. Hoover's support, and that the attack upon him will serve to strengthen his hands. --Boston Transcript.