CAPTAIN DUNN SERVED IN FRANCE

First Battalion Commander also Fought in Spanish War.

Captain Charles C. Dunn, Commander of the First Battalion of the S. A. T. C., has served 11 months in France. Before this country entered the war, he was a first lieutenant in the Second Massachusetts Regiment of the National Guard. This regiment was called into national service on March 25, 1917, and later, in August, it was combined with the Eighth Massachusetts to form what is now the regular 104th United States Infantry, of the 26th Division. This division left for France soon afterward, and was assigned to the Chemin-des-Dames sector. It bore the brunt of all the fighting in the vicinity of Chateau-Thierry, and was later transferred to the Toul sector.

Sent to British Front.

Captain Dunn, then a first lieutenant, was with his regiment all this time, except for one month in which he was sent to the British front near Armentieres. During his last six months in France he was commander of Company M of his regiment. Shortly before his return he was recommended for promotion but he did not actually get his captaincy until he arrived in this country, on July 25, 1918.

Immediately upon his arrival he was assigned to the S. A. T. C. Camp at the Presidio, in San Francisco, California, and was transferred here at the close of the camp on Saptember 16.

Captain Dunn was born in Adams, and is 39 years old. At the out-break of the Spanish-American war, when he was only 18, he enlisted as a private in the Massachusetts National Guard, and served during the war in Cuba. As a result of this, he was commissioned first lieutenant in the National Guard in 1909, and held that rank until his regiment became part of the regular army in March, 1917.