THE BEGINNING OF EFFICIENCY

Numerous investigations and multifold criticism are having a beneficent effect on the War Department. After listening to cross-examinations as well as suggestions for a supreme war council, Secretary Baker has formulated a plan to energize the general staff. Whether this measure will prove a remedy for our inefficiency or whether it will turn out to be an evasion of the demand for a more powerful board can not be immediately determined. Because the staff has not yet gained the powers to enforce its suggestions, a fault, which recent criticism sought to remedy, the reorganization may have little effect. Although there is internal improvement, yet the gain is partially offset by the inability of the staff to have its recommendations carried through.

The very fact that a beneficial change has been aimed at is reason for encouragement. Investigations can not be called futile if they result in the remedy of errors. Inasmuch as the recent discussions have caused general condemnation of our lack of co-operation and progress, any attempt to benefit conditions must be encouraged. So long as Secretary Baker tries to eliminate proven faults, he will be heartily supported.