FRESHMAN SWIMMING MEET TODAY

1921 Handicapped to Date By Poor Facilities For Practice.

The Freshman swimming team meets Phillips Andover today at Andover at 3.30 o'clock. The following events are scheduled: 50, 100 and 220-yard dashes; relay, plunge and fancy diving. The 1921 team has no entries in either the plunge or the 220-yard dash.

The prospects of victory for the Freshmen are very slight, for Andover has a well-balanced team, while 1921 must rely almost entirely on two men, L. H. Rand and E. C. Mott-Smith. In the 200-yard four-man relay, Andover is said to average 27 4-5 seconds, which is much better time than the Freshmen can hope to make. The event which the 1921 team seems likely to win is the 50-yard dash.

The Freshmen have been handicapped so far this year by a small number of candidates for the team, and by poor facilities for training. Until last Monday, practice was held in the tank of the Cambridge Y. M. C. A., where the water is too cold for effective practice. Until Monday there was no coach and no instruction. Now the team has access to the regulation-sized tank of the Boston Y. M. C. A., and an experienced coach has taken charge of the training.

A dual meet between the Freshmen and the Yale 1921 team has been announced for March 2, and March 12 has been set aside as a tentative date for a competition with the English High School of Boston. Negotiations for further contests are now being carried on. Since the 1921 squad now has ample facilities for practice, the management of the swimming squad will arrange as many meets with other institutions as is advisable.