DEAN GAY NAMED FOR WAR TRADE BOARD BY WILSON

AUTHORITY ON SHIPS

Edwin F. Gay, dean of the Graduate School of Business Administration since 1908, has been appointed a member of the War Trade Board by President Wilson. Dean Gay became a member of the Commercial Economy Board of the Council of National Defence early last spring, on which he has been serving up to the present time. It was only recently that this work forced him to abandon his office as head of the Business School, which position he will probably resume at the close of the war.

In his capacity as a member of the Shipping Board, Dean Gay devoted the greater part of his time to the study of tonnage problems, and it is as a representative of this Board that he was made a member of the War Trade Board. He will give his attention particularly to the consideration of import questions concerning the allocation and conservation of ships. Dean Gay's previous experience in this field qualifies him as one of the country's authorities on this subject.

Schaub Remains Acting Dean.

Dean Gay is the second professor to be appointed to an economic board in Washington, the other being Professor F. W. Taussig '79, who is now serving as chairman of the Federal Tariff Commission. Mr. L. F. Schaub was appointed dean of the Business School until the end of the war or until Dean Gay's return from Washington.

Dean Gay was born in Detroit, Mich., on October 27, 1867, and attended the University of Michigan, from which he obtained his A.B. degree in 1890, receiving his Ph.D. from the University of Berlin 12 years later. He has been Professor of Economics at the University since 1906.