TROUBLE IN ENGLAND

The crisis in Lloyd George's government is one whose seriousness can not be overemphasized. An open break has occurred between military and political leaders, which threatens to result in a wholesale resignation of English generals and a possible overthrow of the ministry. On the one hand it is maintained that the dismissal of General Robertson illustrates the shortcomings of political interference. An efficient general staff is impossible where the carping politician is free to do as he will. On the other, the supporters of Lloyd George demand that he hold tight reins on the English war policy. Labor, pacifist and every type of dissenter find grounds for criticism. Whatever the case may be, the Anglo-Saxon trait of self-criticism and blundering correction of evils has placed the Allies in a very dangerous position.

The release of large numbers of Germans from the Russian front will almost inevitably result in an early spring offensive. A complete co-ordination of our armies is the absolute essential of meeting it successfully. The English break is therefore particularly unfortunate at the present time. Its moral effect can not be measured. It will afford food for dissension. It will discourage faith in our ultimate ability to win the war. In all respects it is an example of what must be avoided.

Let America take heed. Let us sacrifice our petty criticisms to the need of maintaining a united front. The English political genius will no doubt solve the present problem. Yet the occurrence of the break means a distinct loss. Although America might patch up like internal difficulties, it nevertheless can not afford to risk a disorganization such as is threatening England. A house divided against itself must surely fall. Stand intelligently behind your government and avoid that criticism which breeds dissension, political discord, and the poisoning of our entire effort.