LIBERTY PLANES EN ROUTE

The announcement that some American-built battle-planes, equipped with the Liberty Motor, are on the way to Pershing's forces comes at an opportune time, for they are needed immediately. The control of the air over the American lines is evidently not in our hands. When an official bulletin states that large numbers of German planes constantly penetrate behind our lines and yet make no mention of combats with our patrols, it is certain that we have not the requisite command of the air. The lack of planes is the only explanation of these facts, as we have many good aviators in France, among them the aces of the Lafayette Escadrille, who are now with our army.

The first shipment of battle-planes is a start toward making up this shortage. Their production was delayed by the frequent changes of plans, necessitated by new inventions and experiments. Their manufacture is now established and many of these winged ships should be on the other side before long. We must send them until the hardiest Fokker prefers staying close to the ground.