GOVERNMENT EFFICIENCY

Much dissatisfaction has recently been expressed in American papers at the inefficiency shown by almost every branch of the Government in the preparation for active participation in the war. Every administrative officer has been subjected to public abuse, and many officials have been accused of willfully holding up the great national work. The New York Times, a powerful Democratic organ, has devoted a series of editorials to the argument that the President, despite his great genius for moral and intellectual leadership, has handicapped his administration by appointing "unfit men to places of very great trust and responsibility," and by retaining them "after their unfitness has been demonstrated."

The American people must remember that we are living and working in a democracy; that democracy and professionalism are repugnant, and always will be. A true democracy must find room for the amateur to expand. A nation must either be democratic or it must be autocratic, having efficiency in professionalism. In democracies each man must have an opportunity in public affairs, and efficiency and professionalism must be restricted to private life.

As a government takes over the operation and administration of the industrial functions of a nation, a state of socialism is approached. Socialism demands efficiency. But since efficiency in the nature of things is incompatible with true democracy, when efficiency is permanently obtained, democratic government must perish.

We are far from being in sympathy with the multitude of gross errors and delays which have been committed in the most important of all business in the present day, namely, preparation for the war; but we think that before too much criticism is launched against President Wilson for lack of judgment in filling his appointive offices we should remember that to secure efficiently we must relinquish the democracy our ancestors so dearly cherished.