COMPLETE THE DRAFT

While investigations and accusations prevail at Washington, a bill to enroll men for the draft as they come of age waits for passage. In spite of the Administration's backing, little action has apparently been taken to hurry through this measure. Although we might condemn the lack of foresight in not providing for such a matter when the draft became law, yet the present need is for instant remedy. Within a short while, if we are to follow our schedule, another increment of draftees must be called out. Although there may be no necessity for summoning men outside of Class 1, yet a surplus in this division will do no harm.

Foreign armies include in their ranks even boys, while we hesitate to enroll all who have reached their majority. That men between 20 and 22 years of age make enthusiastic, efficient soldiers needs no proof, nor can the authorities at Washington be ignorant of this fact. Not only do they show as much skill in fighting, but they also are less likely than older recruits to have dependents. Comparatively few have progressed so far in business or in any profession that their prospects of future success are seriously diminished. By enrolling men as they come of age the War Department will always have within easy reach a large number of recruits well fitted for military service. Since we are no yet in that serious condition which forces our allies to conscript everyone capable of bearing arms, we hesitate to draft men under age. Although necessity may not demand this step, yet it does require that all who are of age be enrolled as soon as possible.