RICHARDS EXHIBITION IN FOGG

Examples of Work of American Painter There Until March 23.

Through the courtesy of the artist's children, the Fogg Art Museum is this week enabled to exhibit a collection of pencil drawings and small water colors by William T. Richards, the American landscape painter. These pictures are to remain at the Museum until March 23.

Mr. Richards, who was born in 1833 and died in 1905, is known both for his nature sketches which he produced early in his long career and for his paintings made in later life. His preliminary training he received from the Philadelphia artist, Paul Weber, while he gathered final instruction from various masters during his travels through France, Italy and Scotland. He was awarded bronze medals at the Centennial in 1876 and at Paris in 1889, the Temple silver medal of the Pennsylvania Academy in 1890, in 1905 the gold medal of the Philadelphia Art Club, and finally in the same year the gold medal of honor at the Centenary Celebration of the Pennsylvanians Academy.

His work is scattered over this country and England as well, having been especially commended there by Ruskin. He has large paintings in the Cormorant Gallery in Washington, the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, and the Metropolitan Museum of New York.

The present collection, none of which has ever before been placed on exhibition, consists primarily of pencil drawings and small water colors, chosen from a number given as birthday and Christmas presents to his children. Of particular interest are the drawings, as showing the discipline to which he subjected himself in order to develop technique. His more finished work, for which the sketches were merely a preparation, is represented by a large oil pointing and a large water color now at the Fogg Museum.