An All-College Camp.

COMMENT

The proposition of an all-college summer training camp as recently advocated by the Harvard CRIMSON, calling for the pooling of interests of the infantry regiments of Harvard and Princeton, the artillery of Yale, and the engineers of Boston Tech., although possessing innumerable advantages in the way of maintaining college friendships and rivalries during the war, is not to be accepted too readily until it has been thoroughly analyzed as regards practicability.

Briefly, the proposition of an all-college summer camp is this: will it furnish a better training to the cadet than he would receive at a Barre or a Tobyhanna? Chief among the arguments that it will is the theory of the heretofore unheard-of co-operation among different arms of the service. No longer will the infantry in an "attack" upon a position be forced to depend for artillery preparation and support upon red flags waved from hilltops. Real artillerymen will be present with real guns, the opportunities for practice in liaison will be great,--but this is as far as the advantages run. Practically speaking, the actual gunners will mean no more to the infantry than did the red flags, unless, of course, they set up a real barrage, which would be quite out of the question. It is true that the simultaneous working of the two arms would be of untold practical benefit to those directing the maneuvers, but were the theory of any value in the initial training of individuals it would have been taken up long ago in our national cantonments. Very properly, it has been left to form part of the final stages of instruction in France.

Furthermore, in considering the proposition of an all-college training camp there must be remembered the fact that all colleges are not advancing at the same rate nor devoting the same amount of time to military training. If the units of different institutions are to work together, it is inevitable that some will be forced prematurely into too-far advanced work or that others will necessarily be held back. --Yale News.