THE FRESHMAN PROBLEM

1921 has elected its officers and thus, in place of several hundred men housed together and united only by class spirit, we have in our midst a democracy ruled by four men. The problems of the Bolsheviki government may well be compared to what these newly chosen officers have to face. For the war has made 1921 the only class in the University where activities are carried on as they were in peace times. The rest of the classes have been cut down to fractions of their normal size, athletics are on a miniature scale, and the result is that the Freshman reigns supreme. He is featured in the newspapers and with each inch of print comes a corresponding increase in headware.

In former years the duties of the Freshman officers were never very difficult: a smoker, a Red Book, and the choosing of a few committees. But this year these four men have the huge task of bringing their class to its senses and making it realize that mere numbers do not justify the ricidulous conceit which is now 1921's dominant characteristic. Last year, and even more so in previous years, the Freshman knew his place and kept in it. There was no hazing,--it was unnecessary,--but the Freshman respected the upperclassman and treated him with consideration. In those days the Freshman was rarely asked to Boston dances, and when thus allowed to mingle with older men he knew how to keep in the background. So far, this year's extra hospitality has been misspent for, instead of appreciating such kindness, the underclassman has taken the attitude that no activity, college or social, can exist without him. And so, haughty and proud of his supposed fame, like the "rah-rah boy" posters, pipe in mouth, he struts through the Yard sometimes even condescending to answer the greeting of the upperclassman. To say that this is true of all present Freshmen is of course absurd. There are many who stick to old traditions and behave as they should, but these pass unnoticed in the shadow of the aggressive prep-school star.

Nevertheless, in their choice of officers we must congratulate 1921. The men who are to lead them for the next few months are well up to the standard of the past. In the tremendous work before them, the CRIMSON wishes the new officers the best of luck, and hopes that by Class Day they will have made these youngsters see that breaking training, probation, and vainglory are not the great ideals for which a Harvard man should strive.