WAR WORK CALLS PROFESSOR E.P.KOHLER TO WASHINGTON

DATE OF RETURN UNKNOWN

Dr. Elmer Peter Kohler, Abbott and James Lawrence Professor of Chemistry, left the University last night for Washington, D. C., where he will be engaged in work for the Government. He will be stationed at the American Eperiment Station of the Bureau of Mines, in Washington, as "Assistant to the Director in Charge of Research Problems." The University Field Laboratory--a branch of the Bureau--of which Professor Kohler is head, has also been transferred. For the past few months he has been working in Cambridge with these men on problems arising from the war.

Professor Kohler graduated from Muhlenberg College, Pennsylvania, in 1886. He was made a "fellow" at Johns Hopkins University in 1891-2 and received his Ph.D. in 1892. From that time until 1912 he taught at Bryn Mawr College, where he was made a full professor in 1900.

How long Professor Kohler will remain in Washington is not known, but he will certainly not return this semester. His elementary course, Chemistry A, will be given by Dr. G. A. Hill, A.M. '14, of the Chemistry Department, and his advanced organic course, Chemistry 5, by Professor F. J. Moore, of M. I. T.