DAYLIGHT SAVING

With the President's signature to a bill which has long been before Congress, the daylight-saving plan has at last become a reality. A full hour is added to the days of the summer months which is certain to be a step toward increased war efficiency.

The University attempted in January to adopt this plan with the purpose of conserving fuel. At the time it was rejected as being inexpedient and as of little practical value. Daylight-saving during the winter has met with little favor. The plan now adopted, however, provides for a need which has long been felt in this country. In Europe, moving the clock forward during the summer months has been put to practical effect, and its efficiency has thoroughly been demonstrated.

The advantages which may be expected in this country, the saving of illuminants, the conservation of coal, the increased production as a result of improved working conditions, the benefits of additional recreation, the comfort and convenience of our population and the valuable economies in our national life, all point to the success of the plan. Desirable at all times, it may be regarded as of the utmost value in the present national emergency.