R. S. EMMET '19 ELECTED TO CAPTAIN UNIVERSITY CREW

ENTIRE SQUAD ON RIVER

Richard Stockton Emmet '19, of South Salem, N. Y., was yesterday elected captain of the University crew for this season. Emmet prepared at St. Paul's School, where he stroked his second club crew. In his first year at the University he was captain and stroke of his 1919 eight which defeated the Yale freshmen, setting up a record for the course. Last year Emmet stroked the second University boat and this year was advanced to that seat in the first shell. He succeeds F. Parkman '19, who was appointed acting captain in the fall.

The entire crew squad, comprising 14 University and Freshman shells, went on the Charles yesterday for the first time this season. Last year it was not until March 27, two days later, that all the oarsmen had their later, that all the oarsmen had their first chance to go on the water. Despite the decrease in attendance at the University since last year, only three fewer eights are now rowing than at the same stage of crew practice last spring.

Coach Haines directed the first University eight in its longest row of the season yesterday afternoon. The shell went beyond the Cottage Farm Bridge and down the basin as far as open water permitted, rowing back upstream as far as the Stillman Infirmary and returning to Newell. No changes were made in the seating of any of the upper crews. Prior to the practice, Coach Haines outlined preliminary training rules for both University and Freshman squads. Beginning this week a modified training schedule will be inaugurated, including strict prohibition of smoking and early hours.