"ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS"

Theodore Roosevelt has sounded the keynote of what should be every American's attitude in the war, when he declared recently that patriotic words are only worth while when they have as their basis patriotic actions. Speech is cheap. An insincere man can often utter as noble words as one of undoubted sincerity. High-sounding verbosity will never defeat Germany, nor will it go far toward arousing others of our nation to action. A single heroic death in France, the simple report, "Killed in action," is far more effective than the words of all the statesmen of America.

It is within the power of every man to help his country. Mere declarations of loyalty accomplish nothing; the body and soul must be enlisted to the cause. The time for contentment with "doing your bit" is over. The nation now demands your all. Where formerly some one activity, some little help was regarded enough, today we can be content with nothing less than the utmost from everyone. As a worthy Canadian has pointed out, the term "slacker" has taken on a new meaning. The slacker among us now is the man who, in the slightest way, withholds any bit of energy or ability which might be of service to his government. In that sense most of us are found wanting. We neglect a hundred opportunities for service. The Red Cross, institutions of all kinds engaged in social betterment, Liberty Loan campaigns, all point to a vast need of men. Not one half of us know what war is. It does not permit us to pass our days in usual routine. It calls for radical readjustments, real sacrifices, and a tireless activity.

Dig down deep and ask yourself what you are doing and whether you cannot be of more service. Get into the war and back your beliefs and high sentiments with real deeds. If you ought to be in the army, get into it. If you ought to be here, make every minute count. In any case, be an American twenty-four hours of every day and learn that slackers are bred of the stuff which is satisfied with "doing its bit."