THE ECONOMY OF TIME

The war has brought with it great burdens and has increased everyone's activity. Men in College today are busier than they were a year ago; they are taking more courses and military training, and are indulging in far more outside work. It is for this very reason, perhaps, that they found the war so convenient a means evading and half-heartedly accomplishing tasks which they are called upon to perform. "These are war-times, you know, and present demands make it impossible for me to do this," is the common attitude. The fallacy of lack of time has gained great headway among our student body and has come to permeate the daily experience of us all.

To use the war as a pawn for side-stepping work is something to which no one consciously stoops. The fact that these are exceptional times calls upon us to perform exceptional tasks. A man's accomplishments today should be limited only by the time at his disposal. Granted that men are doing more now than ever before, the fact still remains that a considerable part of each man's day is not utilized. The war demands economies of all kinds and that of time is not the least among them. Very few of us have reached a point where we no longer are able to add to our daily routine. The man who in truth fully occupies his time is a rarity indeed. To beg off from added duties because of the war and its demands is in almost every case a popular but invalid excuse. The cry of lack of time comes quickly to the lips, but it does not bear up under the conditions which govern the lives of the great majority of men.