THE ROLL OF HONOR

This year Memorial Day will take on a new significance. It used to be the day consecrated only to those who died in the Civil War. From now on it will be even more a day on which we shall commemorate the sacrifice of our countrymen's lives in the Great War. We take pride in our grandfathers and great-grandfathers who fell on the battlefields of Gettysburg and Antietam, and on each May 30 we are newly thrilled by the memory of those men who fought for Union and Democracy between 1861 and 1865. The pride and the thrill will be many, many times greater tomorrow when we celebrate the glorious deaths of our classmates and friends.

It is very appropriate that on the first May 30 after our actual participation in the struggle, the Memorial Society should lay a foundation for the Memorial Days to come, by instituting an actual Roll of Honor of the Harvard dead who will always be remembered. This list of seventy names will grow steadily and more and more rapidly. Fifty years from now our sons will tell their sons that on May 30 the United States pays tribute to the men who fought for their country in the Civil War and for the world in the Great War.