GENERAL WOOD.

The transfer of General Wood from Funston to San Francisco, that is to say, from the line to an office position, is an aggravating bit of news to all University men.

General Wood has won his way to our affections, first, by his establishment of the Plattsburg Camps and his propaganda for national service for all; second, by his winning personality; and third, by his interest in all Harvard activities and more especially in the Harvard regiments of the last few years. When the General was sent to Funston we were chagrined; we had expected that he would be one of the first to lead American troops in France. We were disappointed there; instead of going abroad with one of the Regular Army divisions General Wood was given command of Camp Funston and charged with training forty thousand civilians into soldiers. In so doing he used some of our last year's R. O. T. C. graduates to teach French open order to his officers. In such little ways and by countless others General Wood built up his division until now on the eye of their departure for France he has been sent to command the Western Department.

This is no time for protest. In union there is strength, and the slang "crabbing" must be kept out of our national vocabulary. Yet we cannot help feeling that the War Department has erred. To shelve a leader is not the easiest way to win the war. A good general in France is worth many in San Francisco.